National Programme Officer
Open to Internal and External Candidates
(Vietnamese national only)
National Programme Officer
Ha Noi, Vietnam
Type of Appointment:
Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date:
As soon as possible
5:00 PM, June 16, 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, Internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract. Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded will not retain contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
IOM Viet Nam, through its labour migration and human development programme supports the Government of Viet Nam to enhance its legal and policy framework to better manage labour migration and protect migrant workers. Its multiple labour migration projects deliver policy, safe migration information, training and capacity building in the areas of labour migration and ethical recruitment. At the same time, IOM Viet Nam manages the Corporate Responsibility in Eliminating Slavery and Trafficking in Asia (CREST) programme that identifies businesses as a critical partner in the fight against human trafficking and forced labour, with the private sector offering unique skills, knowledge and market leverage. Under CREST, IOM Viet Nam is currently implementing several partnership projects with the private sector to address the vulnerabilities of migrant workers in international supply chains.
Under overall supervision of the IOM Chief of Mission in Ha Noi and the direct supervision of the Programme and Project Development and Implementation (PPD&I) Unit Manager, and secondary oversight from the CREST regional project manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for the oversight and coordination of all labour migration related activities in the country as well as liaison with government partners, private sector, UN and related agencies.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Labour Migration Focal Point:
- Act as IOM Viet Nam focal point in the area of labour migration and human development.
- Oversee and coordinate IOM Viet Nam’s labour migration related activities under different projects.
- Provide support and expertise to different projects in relation to labour migration and human development.
- Provide support to and participate in development of labour migration and human development related projects/programmes.
- Represent IOM at relevant meetings/ workshops/conferences when required.
- Maintain good relationship/partnership with government implementing partners, private sector and UN agencies in the area of labour migration and human development.
CREST Viet Nam Component:
Private Sector and Multi-Stakeholder Engagement
- Pro-actively participate in discussions and negotiations with the private sector, public sector, and civil society partners on the topic of migration and responsible business conduct in international supply chains, including human trafficking and exploitation.
- Pro-actively plan and organize formation of partnerships with both the public and private sector, designed to support the goals of the CREST project and mission.
- Participate in relevant private sector working groups on migration and responsible business conduct.
- Provide effective project implementation coordination in accordance with the approved Project Documents and Budget and in close coordination with all stakeholders.
- Draft project reports for donors, as well as aspects of interim and final reports, in coordination with the Project Manager.
Project Development, Research and Communication
- Map the landscape of potential and relevant private sector, public sector, and civil society partners to strengthen the capacity of stakeholders to address the risks of labour exploitation including forced labour and human trafficking in supply chains.
- Monitor progress of CREST projects and activities by preparing and verifying work plans, progress reports, annual and financial reports, and other data for clarity consistency.
- Assemble and process data required for planning and negotiation of project activities, considering different approaches and alternative methods for project design, management, problem identification and problem resolution.
- Initiate the design of relevant research activities on the intersection of migration, environment and climate change.
- Develop communications and promotional products and materials, in line with the communications strategy of the CREST project, and in alignment with IOM global communication strategies and materials.
- Provide technical and backstopping support to various teams in the mission.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree from an accredited academic institution in social sciences or other relevant disciplines; or University degree with minimum two years of relevant professional experience;
- Significant experience liaising with - and proven network in - the private sector, governmental and diplomatic authorities, as well as with international institutions;
- Experience in developing and implementing programs related to labour migration, international labour recruitment and corporate sustainability and compliance programs;
- Demonstrated experience in program development, implementation, analysis and evaluation, including budget planning and monitoring;
- Experience in facilitation and training of large groups, diverse groups, and groups of senior-level executives as well as experience with innovative training, facilitation approaches and training designer;
- Strong coordination, negotiation, mobilizing and facilitation skills;
- Pro-active mind-set. Good verbal and written communication skills in English and Vietnamese Languages is essential;
- Must be proficient with MS Office.
Fluency in English and Vietnamese is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others and building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
How to apply:
Completed applications, including IOM Personal History Form, application letter, and copies of diplomas and certificates, recommendation letters, etc. may be delivered to the IOM Mission Office in Hanoi at 304 Kim Ma, Ba Dinh dist, Ha Noi or submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org referring to this Vacancy Notice’s Position Title.
IOM only accepts profiles with IOM Personal History Form duly completed.
Applications are non-returnable and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.